Sunday, September 20, 2009

Review: GI JOE - No

I just returned from GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra

I have to say that I am disappointed. While Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had at least entertained me GI Joe did not achieve that.

Spoilers are coming so if you plan to watch the movie, please skip the rest of this post.



I did not care much for any of the characters. They were not very likeable and it seemed to me that even though the movie was 2 hours long, nobody had much screen time. CGI was more dominant.

Please could someone tell me why the newbies in the team get to wear the million dollar suits instead of the veterans who know their full functions?

How come a footsoldier, granted he is an officer, knows how to cruise with a submarine jet, he just discovered?

I should not be looking for logic here, as these movies can get deconstructed easily but in an elite unit I had hoped for some more realism within the fantasy.

Most of the shots were edited so quickly I had problems to see what was going on. I liked the martial art sequences though.

Often I felt like I was watching Return of the Jedi with new characters. The end was almost a parralel of the ending of Jedi. Fight sequences outside under water instead of in space, cutting to the General, Duke hardly escaping the explosion of the tunnel they were in just looked like Lando getting out of the Second Death Star with the Millenium Falcon.

The only thing I liked was the cameo appearances of Brendan Fraser and Arnold Voslo.

Being a fan of The Mummy I had hoped for more humor and a little bit more substance than was presented.

Keeping in mind that it is only an action movie, it failed to deliver for me.

Not entertaining enough to be a hit, or even to have in my DVD collection. Disappointing. Now I am sad I did not save the money. Public Enemies, which is coming to the cinemas next week, should be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment