Sunday, September 20, 2009

Review: Public Enemies

I went to the movies yesterday to watch Public Enemies.

Spoilers ahead so if you want to read it, you have to mark the text.


I was looking for a good gangster movie like Road to Perdition but what I was in for I had not expected.
You can say that it had some good intentions with old ideas, which did not work out as intended. Therefore it was "just good". I was disappointed as it could have been an exceptional movie.
The movie seemed to have been shot with a lot of hand held cameras, and there were way too many dark scenes.
Sometimes I was blinded by the headlights of cars shining in the direction ofthe camera which was a very unpleasant experience.
The intentions surely were to put the audience right in the middle but it did not work at all as it took me out of the movie experience and made me aware of the cinema surrounding I was in.
The worst part of the movie was the sound. At first I thought there was something wrong with the cinema but after doing some research on imdb and browsing the comments I saw that most had a similar experience.
It is said that the noise of the tommy gun would influence your hearing so we would hear less of what is said but seriously there were times where I hardly understood the dialogue.
Surely the realism intended by Mann needs some adjustment.
The performances by Bale and Depp were solid but not exceptional or special. Just what you could expect by them. However I was missing the fire.
DeNiro and Pacino portrayed much more likeable characters in Heat and I have to say that I prefer Heat as a modern gangster movie many times over Public Enemies.
Over all I I would say the movie was good, but nothing special. If the sound "problems" will be fixed for a DVD release this film could be enjoyed at home maybe more than on a big cinema screen.
That is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment